Sunday, July 6, 2008

Busy Sunday

I intended to write a pretty lengthy post today, including a review of Hancock, but I've been working on stuff more or less since I got up this morning, and I still have more to do before I can relax. For now, suffice it to say that I liked the flick. It sure wasn't the best movie I've ever seen, but it sure wasn't the worst, and better than average by the standards of superhero movies. It was very funny at times (but it seemed to have trouble transitioning between funny parts and serious parts, making the whole thing feel a little uneven). There was one big plot twist that took me by surprise, and you might love or hate that twist, depending on your own personal taste. It worked for me. You get into the origin of Hancock midway through the film, how he got his powers, where he came from, etc., and the whole story is pretty ridiculous, but the origin story of any superhero is pretty ridiculous. I had two primary complaints about the movie; the villain was not developed nearly enough and wasn't really menacing at all, and I think the movie actually needed to be longer. I rarely say that, but it only clocked in around 90 minutes, so they easily could have made it a half hour longer without seeming excessive, and I think the movie would have benefited from a longer running time. Felt very rushed at times. Still, an enjoyable movie, just the kind of mindless, action-packed entertainment you would expect from a midsummer blockbuster. Might write more about it later, but not a lot of time to spare at the moment. Might be back tomorrow, depending on how much I have to do when I get out of class.

No comments: