Saturday, September 6, 2008

Thanks, ESPN, but that's not actually true.

Reading about the Bills-Seahawks matchup on ESPN.com today, I read that the Seahawks offense "faces a Bills defense that finished 7th in the NFL last season." Actually, we finished 31st on defense (or it may have been 30th. Either way, 7th is not close). Of course, there are varying ways of measuring defense. I'm using total yards per game. You could use points per game, a category in which the Bills D ranked significantly higher, somewhere around 15th if I remember correctly, but still nowhere near 7th. They're also not referring to just passing or just rushing defense, because even though I can't remember what those exact rankings were, I know we weren't getting a sniff of the top 10. Yeah, I have no idea what the guys at ESPN were looking at when they wrote that. But I guess I'm flattered, and maybe now people will fear us more. Turnover ratio? It's possible we could have been ranked highly in that, but I'm sure if they were referring to something that specific they would have said so. No, this had to be just an error.

No comments: