Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Barkley: Always entertaining.

Man, I wish I had been more aware of what was going on in the world of sports in 1992. In my defense, when the '92 summer Olympics were played, I was 7, so I hadn't quite reached the level of expert in my sports fandom. Anyway, the point is some stuff happened in 1992 that must have been ridiculously awesome and hilarious to see live. I was reading an ESPN article about today's basketball game between the USA and Angola when I came across this golden nugget of a paragraph:

"The United States improved to 4-0 against Angola, starting with the Dream Team's Olympic debut in 1992. That romp is best remembered for Charles Barkley's elbow to an unsuspecting Angolan player in a 116-48 victory."

The phrase "Charles Barkley's elbow to an unsuspecting Angolan" was enough to make me start laughing, then when I got to the end of the sentence and found out it happened in a 68-point blowout, I lost control of myself for a few minutes. And this man may someday be the governor of Alabama.

By the way, there's something pretty amazing happening in Boston right now. David Ortiz had two home runs and 6 RBI IN THE FIRST INNING of Boston's game with the Rangers tonight. It's currently 12-6 Boston in the 5th. And a 6-run lead is pretty good, but considering they had a 10-run lead, and we had to go to the bullpen (after starting a guy making his major league debut tonight, some guy named Zink.... I'm gonna call him "Centrum Silver"), I'm deathly afraid we're going to blow this somehow. That's the way things have been going for the Sox lately. 12-7 now. Sweet Jesus.

1 comment:

Petey said...

Why settle for Governor Barkley?

Barkley/Bradley 2012!