Sunday, August 10, 2008

A (relatively) stress-free weekend

OK, so I survived the last day of classes without incident. My graphics project even turned out to not be as sucky as I feared it would be. And I thought my interview for the research assistant job went very well. I should be hearing from them regarding whether or not I got the job some time tomorrow (Monday). So keep your fingers crossed for me. If I don't get it, I'm going to try to not be disappointed or down about it. I've got some other ideas about ways to make money this fall, not sure how viable some of them are, but I'll figure something out.

It's been a very good weekend, and fairly relaxing, even though I've stayed busy. Yesterday I did some grocery shopping, cleaned up my apartment a little bit, then spent a few hours in the afternoon writing a long, long email to some of my buddies from college, with whom I had done a piss-poor job of keeping in touch. I'd been meaning to send a mass email out to them and let them know how I've been spending my life post-graduation, but I just hadn't gotten around to it, due to being lazy and busy and forgetful, at different times.

Last night I relaxed by watching the Bills-Redskins preseason game on TV. Ah, that good old feeling of watching the Bills and being disappointed by the result... how I've missed you. The universe is still in balance, it would seem.

Telling you what I did today is probably going to sound boring and unpleasant, but I actually found it very relaxing. I read the news. Pretty much all day long. See, during my last week of classes I had stopped reading the paper, but I get it delivered, so these newspapers were just piling up on my coffee table, a constant reminder of how I've been ignoring my journalistic responsibility to know what the hell is going on in the world. And my inbox was full of news updates from the New York Times that remained unread. So today I got all caught up on the news and it was actually a really nice morning/afternoon. I figure if you don't like reading the news and finding out about what's going on in your community/state/country/world, you probably shouldn't be in the journalism business.

I also watched the USA/China basketball game, which wasn't very entertaining (101-70 in favor of democracy) but it was decent background noise while I was reading the papers.

Tonight I'm thinking I'm gonna head out and finally see the X-Files movie, which I still haven't done (I actually haven't been to the movies since Hancock, which was over a month ago now. Just been really busy. And kind of cheap). It's a stormy night in Syracuse, seems like a good time to get my paranormal investigation on. Plus it'll be a 10 o'clock show on a Sunday at a mall that no one seems to go to, of a movie that has been out for several weeks and didn't do that well to begin with. I estimate there will be no more than 8 people in that theater, myself including. So the mostly empty theater should enhance whatever creepiness factor the movie has. Also plan on seeing Pineapple Express in the near future, and I'd still like to see Step Brothers, and I think there's some good stuff coming out soon (I'm hearing Downey is awesome in Tropic Thunder) so maybe I'll spend a lot of time in theaters during my vacation.

Okay, that's all for now. Hopefully I'll have a job by the next time I post. But if not, it won't be the end of the world. Peace.

-Nick

No comments: