Monday, August 11, 2008

Still waiting

So five o'clock has come and gone, and I haven't heard anything about the job. I had expected to hear from them by 5, because that's usually considered the end of the work day. I don't necessarily think this means I didn't get the job. Since they only interviewed 4 people, I'm pretty sure they would have contacted the 3 people who didn't get it, as well as the 1 who did, if they had made a decision. So they must still be working on it. Which, actually, is not that big of a surprise. When I interviewed Friday morning, they asked me for a few more references, which I emailed to them later that day. If they did the same with the other applicants, I would imagine they were still trying to get ahold of a lot of people today, since it can be hard to reach people on the weekend. The references I gave them might have been particularly troublesome, because a couple of them are based in Los Angeles, so then you've got the time zone thing to take into account. Not much I could do about that-- I lived in California for four years.

Also, it's still possible I could hear something tonight. When I first talked to the one professor running the program to schedule an interview, I think we had that conversation around 7PM. So I know he's open to the idea of doing business in the evening.

Anyway, still waiting. I'll let you know as soon as I have some news. I realize that maybe I'm just being delusional here, maybe they made their choice and then decided, "Eh, screw those other guys, they'll figure out they didn't get the job when we don't call them back," but after meeting with these professors, I really don't think they're the kind of guys who would do that. So, keep those fingers crossed.

-Nick

No comments: